Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Weathering Shop - UP 2513


My locomotive fleet has been in need of attention for some time, specifically in the weathering department. As scenery starts to develop, glossy out-of-the-box models stand out like a sore thumb. First on the list of projects was UP 2513, an Athearn Genesis SD60, which spent the previous week in the weathering shop.


It has been some time since I have weathered a locomotive, but I have undertaken multiple freight car projects in recent months. Initially I was overwhelmed by the additional complexity a locomotive presents, but using many prototype photos and sticking to tried and true methods made the project manageable.  Additionally, I kept the number of materials I used to a minimum, focusing on different modes of application rather than trying to juggle a multitude of products. 


I used techniques employed by weathering artists including Kevin Packard and Gary Christenson. I used acrylic paints for fading, grime, and other washes. I used water mixable oils on the underframe, trucks, and fuel tank. Weathering powders were used sparingly across the model. Each successive layer was sealed with Dullcote.



There are a few more details to add to this model including a PTC antenna, yellow reflective tape, and new handrails. Other than that it is ready for helper service on the Cascade Subdivision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment