Monday, October 21, 2019

Tunnel 22

As I begin to work on terrain in Westfir, Tunnel 22, the tunnel directly to the RR-East of Oakridge needed some attention. In order to cover the tunnel, I needed to build some liners and ballast the track that will be inside the tunnel. A great afternoon project to ease into some modeling!


I first painted the subroadbed on the inside of the tunnel a deep brown color. I was not too concerned about exactly which shade of brown, I just needed something dark to serve as a base for ballast.


While the paint dried I began constructing the tunnel liner. For a lightweight and low-cost solutions I went for foamboard and a textured cardstock I had on hand. This I held together with hot glue. I will be honest as I was putting these together I was beginning to be skeptical of how they would turn out, however, they proved to be quite sturdy and easy to put together! I simply used the tunnel portal as a template for the foam supports and went to town cutting!


Here is one half of the tunnel going through some rigorous testing. The tunnel portal I am using is sadly not prototypically accurate, but I think a fairly decent stand-in for the tunnels on the line. Only true Cascade fans will know its is not correct. I did raise the tunnels using scrap pieces of cork roadbed for my intermodal equipment to clear.


Ballast! This is the first true element of scenery on the layout. I installed Arizona Rock and Mineral ballast on the track inside the tunnel and secured it with WS Scenic Cement. The darker gray color is perfect, I was quite surprised as it comes in a very light color before securing it with glue.


I gave the two tunnel liners a spray with some black rattle-can paint I had on hand. Didn't go for a solid finish, but left some variation.


Tunnel in place! I have not secured everything just yet, but the scene is ready for some basic terrain. I still need to paint and weather the portals themselves and there are some gaps to fill on the lining, but otherwise this afternoon project turned out much better than I imagined and will be a technique I return to for the other 9-10 tunnels on the line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment